Friday, November 27, 2009

Animal Farm is Real

One of the best books that I ever read is Animal Farm, writen by George Orwell more than 50 years ago. In fact, Orwell was a communist in his youth, but as we read this tiny but fascinating book we will find a strong criticism to authoritarianism. No matter its shape or color, authoritarianism is always evil. Besides, it seems that the message of Animal Farm reinforces the idea that, "All power corrupts".

Therefore, any form of unjust dominion cannot be justified, no matter if it is from left wing or right wing, liberals or conservationists of any color or flag.

I used to think that things were white or black, but I found so many shades of grays, that it is almost impossible to distinguish if some thing is more black or more white. I believe that is unsafe to put all our energy in defense of a single political group (unfortunately). Politicians are very prone to compromise their believes in return of some thing that has nothing to do with the common good.

It is not that I do not believe that there is some good and well intentioned politicians out there, but I believe that we cannot blindly just trust them. As the brazilian poeta Mario Quintana once said, "Nobody is totally good or totally evil..."

3 comments:

REGS said...

yes. I believe that believing a single political party alone is not the best of choices, because all parties, both liberal and conservative have their goods and bads. People shouldn't belong to a party, but should vote for the individuals that are trying to do good for the people, no matter what political party they are in. That is why I am not a Republican or a Democrat. I don't like either party, and believe they are both corrupt in their own ways. I also don't believe there should be such a system, because having a two party system was not even mentioned or put forth in the Constitution. I believe we should vote for and follow those individuals with integrity and Christ-like attributes & intentions. Sadly enough, there are very few of those, but there are some. Your thoughts are true that there isn't just all good or all bad in a party or person...there is a little of both. So, we should look for the good in mankind, and support it!

MamaMia said...

I agree with you Unfortunately, when there are LDS candidates, it seems that they do not get a lot of support from the members of the church. The fact that they are members of the church does not make them perfect, but at least we would have more in common with their values, theorically speaking. But as we buy CD's or DVDs from LDS artists to support them we should vote on LDS candidates. I just never did, but I am thinking in start to do it as soon as I would have right to vote here in US, or even if I go back to Brazil.

MamaMia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.